Love At Large FAMILY

Love At Large  FAMILY

Saturday 10 March 2012

Homeschooling

For a while now,talking in terms of weeks,I have been at war with myself concerning wanting to homeschool our children verses keeping them enrolled in the Qld school system.
I firstly ignored the calling to Homeschool not possibly believing I could do it.Or that I could take my kids out of school.

So I had some point I wrote down once I realized the idea was still tugging at me.

 10 points on how we reached our decision.

1. Yes my kids have great teachers this year,but I can not guarantee it EVERY year,I consider us very lucky to have received these teachers for my daughters.
2. My daughters ARE affected by school.They do come home seeming more like aliens then my children,and I only glimpse my kids on weekends.
3. I feel they are not being taught to their individual abilities.I feel and believe I can do that for them.
4. My kids do not benefit from being one of 20 odd something kids in a classroom vying for their teachers attention.
5. I can control WHAT they are leaning,when and for how long.So if I dont think they understand it yet,then we can keep at it for as long as is required.
6. Lilly sometimes gets overstimulated,and can cause her to have emotional break downs.It is hard to send her to school like that and I know I can make sure her day is more suited to her when that is the case.
7. My girls are excited at the prospect of being at home,even if Amber's is due to the fact she can use shiny pencils :-) .
8. Nick and I are excited!Since deciding on this we have felt at peace with the decision and feel we are doing something special for our kids and our family.
9. Being able to take my kids out into the world to explore their surroundings as tools for their development.
10. As a family,we will learn,grow and blossom.What more can I ask for?

So.When do we begin?
We are in the process of moving home.We will have the girls enrolled in their school for term 2,then we will withdraw them and begin homeschooling on July 10th,then beginning of Term 3,semester 2.
I have a room in our new home waiting to fill with learning tools.I have found and decided on our supplier for their curriculum materials.We have made contact to fill out all paperwork required to make it official and legal with QLD Government.And I have reached out to the Homeschooling QLD community to meet other families walking this path so our kids still have social interaction.

School Photos.
School photos are coming up.We have decided we will NOT be getting them done.Instead I am going to purchase a snazzy camera and get the girls to 'pose' for Homeschooling photos.
I am purchasing some plain colored polo shirts from Kmart and having the kids names monogrammed on the front so when we leave the home for a school excursion(planning for 1 a week min) we can create routine for the kids,so they know they are in ''school mode''.
We will have all 4 kids enrolled in swimming lessons,and a sport of their choice.The library will become a weekly drop in for us.
The internet will become my best friend,just as Google has.

To put into words just how buzzed I am about this is impossible.But I really am.
There is a lot for us(me) to do in the next few months,but I am determined to make it possible,and fun and I am determined to do it well.For our kids.

1 comment:

  1. How fantastic to have the opportunity to homeschool, I appreciate your reasons. We are homeschooling our children though one is happy at school for now.

    ReplyDelete